Well engineered Packed Columns (incorporating state of the art Packed Column
Internals) play a critical role in ensuring that the benefits of state of the art Column
Packing and Packed Bed Design are consistently applied to ensure optimum plant
design and performance.
Rhine Ruhr has developed standards for the selection, specification, design and
manufacture of a comprehensive range of fully compatible Packed Column Internals
that will ensure maximum packed bed performance.
These standards are continuously improved to incorporate enhancements and
unique design features based on the experience gained from testing, installation
and plant performance data.
A Packed Column consists of one or more beds of either
randomly dumped or structured column packing. The column packing may be selected from Rhine Ruhr’s
wide variety of type and size to achieve the required duty.
Rhine Ruhr’s Packed Beds are designed and engineered
to function effectively with devices engineered to exact
tolerances to control column feeds and draws.
In addition, Rhine Ruhr Packed Beds require compatible
support and retainer grids to ensure packed bed integrity.
These and other essential items such as Collector Trays
etc., broadly classified as Column Internals, are
therefore as important to the proper
functioning of the column as
the actual Column
Packing Support Plates
Every Packed Bed is supported within the column
with a compatible Support Plate or Grid. This is
mechanically strong enough to support the dead
weight of the packed bed together with expected
liquid hold up.
Rhine Ruhr’s Packing Support plates are also be
sufficiently open not to restrict the flow of vapour
The complete range of Packing Support Plates
manufactured by Rhine Ruhr includes:
• PBS120 Gas Injection Plate for random packed
beds under 1000mm diameter.
• PBS260 Gas Injection Multibeam for random
packed beds over 1000mm diameter.
• FSG50 Flat Grid for Structured Packing beds
• FSG100 Flat Grid for Structured Packing beds
Packing Support Plates are available in a wide range
of metallic and thermoplastic materials and are
typically located on an annular ring welded to the
Effective liquid distribution is a critical factor in
consistently achieving maximum mass transfer
efficiency from a packed bed. The high surface area of
the packing is therefore wetted to effectively promote
vapour/liquid contact. Furthermore, variation in liquid
rate across the bed effectively increases the target
number of theoretical stages due to the resulting
variation in L/G ratio.
To ensure distribution efficiency, all High Efficiency
Liquid Distributors manufactured by Rhine Ruhr are
flow tested prior to despatch.
The Rhine Ruhr type HED2G High Efficiency Liquid
Distributor provides the optimum balance between
packed bed efficiency and practical mechanical design. Typical examples are:
• CTD2O Chimney Tray Style
• PLD300 Pipe Lateral Distributors
• SHD500 Spray Header Distributors
• WTD75 Weir Trough Style Distributors
• PD2O Orifice Pan Distributors
HED2G Design Features
HED2G Design Features:
• Minimum 100 drip points per square meter.
• Drip Points on a regular pitch.
• Drip point density maintained around periphery
• Pan/Trough design with zero leakage
• Simple but accurate level adjustment.
• CNC Punched metering orifices.
• Drip Guides to minimize liquid entrainment.
• High open area (approx. 60%)
• Low fouling design (orifices above trough floor)
• Efficient turndown to 50% of design liquid rate.
• The complete range of Rhine Ruhr liquid
distributors also includes general
services such as
Rhine Ruhr custom designs and manufactures a full
range of special purpose removable internals for both
packed and trayed columns such as:
Chimney Trays for a range of duties:
• Liquid Collector for Distributor Feed
• Liquid Collector for Tray Feed.
Liquid Draw Tray (Partial or Total)
• Vapour Distribution
• Vapour Disengagement from Flash Feed
Internal Pipework for a range of duties:
• Sparging liquid feed to a Distributor
• Vapour Distributor
• Downpipes from Chimney Trays
• 2-Phase Feed Inlets to provide effective vapour and